SELECT participants: If you have questions about what the latest SELECT findings mean for you, please visit the SELECT participant website for guidance and further contact information. A press release on the latest findings is also available.
As the largest cancer prevention trial ever undertaken, the Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial, or SELECT, has assembled a substantial biorepository of specimens. SWOG wants to make these resources available to the wider research community.
SELECT is a phase III, double-blind, placebo-controlled 4-arm study of selenium, vitamin E, selenium and vitamin E together, and placebo designed to assess the effect of these supplements on the incidence of prostate cancer. Funded by the National Cancer Institute and conducted by SWOG (formerly the Southwest Oncology Group), a national clinical trials research network, the study opened in August 2001 and quickly exceeded its accrual goal of 35,533 men. In the fall of 2008, the trial's Data Safety and Monitoring Committee recommended that participants discontinue taking study supplements based on an interim finding of no preventive benefit. A plan to transition the almost 31,000 patients remaining on SELECT to centralized follow-up and to provide an opportunity to develop new research directions is now being implemented.
You can view the list of projects that have been awarded use of these biorepository resources through a peer-review process.
The following resources provide information about SELECT and its biorepository.
Biorepository resources from the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial (PCPT) are also available.
- Summary of SELECT trial and centralized follow-up (PDF)
- Summary of ancillary studies and sub-studies based on SELECT (PDF)
- Specimens (PDF)
- Description of adherence cohort and other sample collections
- Table of samples collected and analyzed to date (blood and toenail clippings)
- Blood sample acquisition protocol
- Tissue acquisition protocol
- Table of tissues collected and stored
- Case-cohort (PDF)
- Description of design, samples analyzed/DNA extracted
- Power calculation
- Additional SELECT documents
- SELECT data